Saturday, April 30, 2011

Wizard of Oz: Dorothy Cookie and my Cookie Recipe!

EXCITED! Fort Frances High School is doing a production of THE WIZARD OF OZ for this year's musical. To celebrate, I've made a Dorothy Cookie! This cookie not only highlights the event (for those in the Fort that read this), but it also goes to celebrate the birthday of the director! This cookies are my gift to her for all her hard work!


I was super excited to make these cookies, they literally took all day to do. Each part must dry before the next can be made. For this cookie, I had about 9 steps, each one coming together to make the final product. I love the basket, I think that was my favorite part. Either way, the end product of one day's decorating was TWO Dorothy cookies and THREE Ruby Slippers. How sad? So much work! Such a great product!


Now, many people have asked me about my own recipe. And, truth be told, I've intentionally never placed it up. Maybe I was being sentimental, but it was something that I wanted to keep to myself. How selfish am I?

Anyway, I've finally decided to share my recipe with all of you. I hope that you will enjoy it. Try it out for yourselves. It is a pretty traditional recipe, except the spices, which I believe really add a lot! Tell me what you think, okay?

Domestic Sugar Cookies:

1 c sugar
1 c butter/margarine
1 lg egg
1 tbsp vanilla extract (real is best!)... beans are even better!
1/2 tsp cardamom
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
3 1/2-4 c flour (Depends on humidity) + 1/3 c for dusting

DIRECTIONS:

1. Cream butter and sugar (whip until fluffy). Add egg, vanilla, cardamom and cinnamon. Mix slightly.

2. Add in baking powder and flour, mix until the dough is just JUST not-tacky to the touch (should not stick to your fingers, but should be sticky.

3. Place dough in fridge for 1 hour. Take out a small ball (1/3 of the dough), and roll it out on a lightly dusted surface, roll to 1 inch thickness. You may need to lift dough and dust underneath. I use a pie-scraper for this, works great!

4. Cut out desired shape, place on a cookie sheet (I use parchment to prevent sticking). Place in the freezer to chill for 3 minutes. In the mean time, pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F. When the oven is good and ready, place cookies in the oven and cook for 7-12 minutes. This will depend on the cookie shape/size. Smaller cookies cook faster. Cook until the edges are JUST brown.

Remove and cool. DECORATE! OH-YEAH! :: does vector hip-thrust ::



Coming Up: How-to? Dorothy Tutorial!


post signature

19 comments:

paddle attachment said...

This Dorothy cookie is really wonderful! I love all the details, especially the face. (:

Connie the crafterbug said...

These cookies look amazing! I don't think I would eat it though. It should go in a shadow box.
Connie

Butter Hearts Sugar said...

Wow the detail you put into the Dorothy cookie is amazing!! They look great.

Kristin said...

Wow! That is amazing! Too pretty to eat! Found you through LambAround bloghop :)

All Things Fee said...

Patience of a saint! Dorothy looks amazing!

Would love for you to share at Calling All Crafters!
http://allthingsfee.blogspot.com/2011/05/calling-all-crafters-5th-edition.html

Apron Appeal said...

I'll be making cookies today for teacher appreciation week. Thanks for sharing the recipe....sometimes its hard to share...I have a poppyseed bread recipe that I just can't let go of.

Sew Can Do said...

Great details & it looks sooo tasty!

Julie said...

Oh my word. That takes real talent.

Kitty Deschanel said...

Wow! You are one talented and patient cookie decorator :)

keatseatsblog said...

LOVE these! I'd love for you to link up to my sweet treat party tomorrow! Hope to see you there!
-Ashton www.somethingswanky.com

Unknown said...

These are darling! Good job! Thank you for sharing your special recipe. That was so kind. :)
~Liz

Unknown said...

What cute cookies! I love the amount of detail you added to Dorothy's dress and the red sugar on her shoes. I used to run my own cookie business so I understand the amount of work that goes into such wonderful works. On another note, Your blog design is sooo cute. If you're ever interested in having it recreated on a trivet/tile I can do that for you. I went from cookie decorator to decorative painter. I specialize in blog tiles.

bridget {bake at 350} said...

really, really cute!!! I know that was a LOT of work!

Bird Stalker Photography said...

Those are so adorable. I wish I could do something like that. You are very talented!

Jenniffer said...

What an incredible job on those cookies! I love the ruby slippers on Dorothy!!

Sue said...

AMAZING job on Dorothy! You need to keep one and frame it:)

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

How perfectly wonderful! I have a big Dorothy fan at my house, I'll have to show her your pictures, she will love them.

yvonne said...

Is this recipe for the Witchy Fingers as well?

Unknown said...

I am making this recipe today at the request of a physician I work with. I used the recipe in the witch finger cookie recipe for a halloween party 2 years ago and he has pined away for your recipe ever since!