Sunday, February 12, 2012

Book of your Life Cake

Hmm. What is this book? Why, it is about my life! It has my interests and dreams! IT'S A CAKE!

That is more or less how I viewed the giving of this latest cake. One of my coworkers recently celebrated her 60th birthday.


I love when I get asked to do an 'over-the-hill' cake. I mean, what do people normally ask for when they want to celebrate an 'older' birthday... tombstones, graves, hills with people passed out on them. I mean, what tells a person that you care about them than showing them they will soon be dead? Right?

Seriously, Google OVER THE HILL CAKES and you are going to get a bunch of winner ideas. Not that they cannot be well exectuted or quite beautiful; it's just the idea of reminding people of what is coming. That's why I decided on this Book of your Life theme. Take a look:


Barb's friends conspired to tell me the things that were important to her: her grand-kids, quilting, shopping, working with friends, gardening. These were the elements that I incorporated into the cake, trying to make it seem like a positive reflection on the years to come, rather than reminding her that death is waiting around the corner with a little scythe and black robe.


Anyway, over the next week you'll notice some changes here at the blog. I'm going to be revamping this year's design, and hopefully everything will run smoothly. If you find things hard to find for a bit, I apologize. This will be my third anniversary at Domestic Sugar, and so I decided for a change of scenery. My next post will actually be my 200th! YAY.

post signature

12 comments:

Tiffany@Fizzy Party! said...

What a great cake I love it. I agree, what's up with the grave stones and grim reapers. Celebrate LIFE!

Anonymous said...

I think this cake is funny...and so clever...

Unknown said...

This is a great cake - what a super idea! How fun to revamp the blog - I love it now but I bet it will be even better after!

Pink Little Cake said...

What a cute idea!!

Bobbie said...

What a great idea, very clever!!

KimT said...

Wow! The cake and the reasoning behind the way you made the cake are fabulous. I would much rather have a book of life over a tomb stone!

Rachel said...

That is a brilliant idea! I love it - love the positive aspect of it.

Ms Moppet said...

Wow, this is great!

The Youngs said...

Saw this on Toys in the Dryer and couldn't believe it because I'd been thinking about doing a book cake for my kids next year. I love the way it turned out!

Annette Whipple said...

Love it!!

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

This cake is AMAZING!! What a creative, beautiful creation!! I am featuring this at TGIF this week - http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/2012/02/tgif-linky-party-18.html - Thanks for linking up & sharing your creativity with the rest of us =-) Come on by, grab an I was featured button, and link up what you've been up to this week!
Beth =-)

Jill @ KitchenFunWithMy3Sons.com said...

Cute Cake! We just posted our Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday Link Party and would love for you to share this! http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2012/02/kitchen-fun-and-crafty-friday-link_23.html