Sunday, January 30, 2011

Peanut Butter & Chocolate Cupcakes (Recipe)

You've got to love the combination of chocolate, peanut butter and cake. If I could eat this with Reese Peanut-Butter ice creme... well, I'd be fat. So, today I'm going to share one of my favorite recipes: The Peanut Butter & Chocolate Cupcake.


The PB in the icing is light, not overpowering. It is not like you're biting it a spoonful of PB. I know many of my friends use PB as a supplement to their diets, loving to have a late-night spoonful. Me, on the other hand, I like it subtle.

As for the chocolate part of the cake. DIES! This is my go-to cake (not just for cuppies). It is moist, soft and best of all, VERY RICH! Wanna make em'?


Dark Chocolate Cake:


2c boiling water
1 c cocoa powder (dutch - get the good stuff)
1 tbsp instant coffee (STARBUCKS KIND!... or not)
2 3/4 c flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 c butter
2 1/4 c sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Directions:

1. In a medium bowl, mix boiled water, cocoa and coffee. Whisk until dissolved. Let cool to room temp.

PREHEAT OVEN TO 325

2. In a medium bowl, mix dry ingredients, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

3. In a large bowl, blend sugar and butter until fluffy. Add in the vanilla and eggs one at a time.

4. Slowly alternate cooled chocolate and flour mix until fully incorporated. Blend on medium for 2 minutes.

5. Place batter in divided cuppie tins or in greased cake pan.

Cuppies: bake about 15-20 minutes.
Cake: bake 30-40 min or until toothpick comes out generally clean.

REMEMBER, IF THE TOOTHPICK IS COMPLETELY CLEAN, YOU'VE OVERCOOKED!

Peanut-Butter Frosting:

1/2 cup shortening
1 c Creamy Peanut Butter
1 tsp vanilla (good stuff)
1c powdered sugar
2 oz (or so) of heavy creme.

Directions: Whip shortening and peanut butter. Add in vanilla. Slowly add in the Powdered sugar and heavy creme (alternating is best). If you need to add more creme, do, watch the constancy - it will depend on the brand of PB you use. When it is whipped, smooth, and soft, you know you've done a good job. You can eat it with a spoon or place it on cuppies. :: dies ::

TOTAL: you can add the frosting to the cuppies when they are cooled, then crush some chocolate (I used an Aero bar) then drizzled some caramel ice-creme topping on the top. SO GOOD!

I hope you like them!

post signature

20 comments:

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

These look AMAZING !

Linda Vandermeer McCubbin said...

Yum I love peanut butter and chocolate together and have been thinking of making some cupcakes like this - how delicious does you frosting look!

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh, a PB chocolate cupcake is irresistible enough, but with that caramel topping dripping down the sides, this is an absolute must eat. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link this up.

The Experimental Cook said...

This is an irresistible cupcake !

Butter Hearts Sugar said...

Oh yes I really want to make them, they look so yummy! I'm still serching for the perfect chocolate cake, so I'll definitly give these a try.

Rhondi said...

Oh my! I have to make these! I have a total weakness when it comes to chocolate and peanut butter together. Very pretty cupcakes too!

Rose Gold said...

Yum! This is my favorite combination for a cupcake! I can make this later on since all of the ingredients are already in the kitchen. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Maggie Lamarre said...

I'm making this for the weekend...
Thanks for the tutorial.
Don't forget to link it in our linking party this week.

http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/02/fun-ideas-for-valentine-day-2011be.html

Maggie

Melanie Schoenhut said...

Peanut butter and chocolate seems to be new for me. I better try this one. Thanks for the recipe.

Julie said...

This is my favorite combination of all time! Can't wait to make it!!

The Farm Girl at thefarmgirlrecipes.blogspot.com

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Yum! These look rich and tasty! I love peanut butter :)

MrsJenB said...

Mmmmm...really, is there any better combination than chocolate and peanut butter? I'm thinking the answer is no. There isn't.

The frosting looks amazing in and of itself. Want some!!!

Visiting from Somewhat Simple

Nicole said...

Yum! I'm bookmarking this!

Penny Pincher said...

You had me at coffee....and chocolate....and peanut butter. So good!

Sydney Jones said...

These look delicious!

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

I'm on a huge cupcake kick lately. These look so good!

I'd love to have you share this recipe on Sweet Tooth Fridays. I hope to see you there! http://alli-n-son.com/2011/02/03/chocolate-toffee/

Jessica said...

I love anything peanut butter and anything chocolate! These look amazing! I don't know if mine would look this good, but as long as it tastes good I would be fine.

Also, love the little icon with your name at the bottom of your post. It is so cute!

Unknown said...

What is the yield for these? I'd love to make them for my boyfriend for Valentine's day~

DANA said...

That is making me want a late night snack! If you have not been by yet, I would love for you to come link up! Every month the best link gets prizes!

http://www.thesaturdaymorningsblog.com/2011/02/strut-your-stuff-for-february-round-2.html

Anonymous said...

Are these similar to the Starbuck's Mini peanut butter chocolate cup cakes?