Sunday, May 8, 2011

Anemone Cake (Recipe)

Happy Mother's Day!

I hope you all have great weather. Here in the Fort, or in N.W.O, we generally get rain on Mother's day. I'm not sure if it is an indication that we should stay inside and enjoy our families, or whether it is something else. Either way, I had lots of time to bake my Mother's Day cake this weekend, so to you, I present the Anemone Cake:

I have wanted to make this Black and White cake for a while. The trouble is that I love colour so very much (see the decorations on the blog to get the just of it). It was nice to have to bake a cake that didn't include a lot of colors and was simple to make. I was very pleased with the result.
I just think that the Anemone is such an elegant flower. It makes for a simple decoration. Now, on this cake, I did not abandon all color. The cake itself is a White Chocolate Raspberry cake with Almond buttercream. This recipe is actually one which comes from Wilton. I found it years ago and have stuck with it! I truly think it is a simple and delicious recipe, tasting better than a boxed recipe!


White-Chocolate Raspberry Cake with Almond Buttercream:

  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/3 cups milk
  • 4 ounces (2/3 pkg baker's white chocolate) GET THE GOOD STUFF
  • 1 tbsp vanilla
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter , softened
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup raspberry Jam (Best stuff!)
  • 1 c unsalted butter (room temp)
  • 2 1/2 c powdered sugar (icing sugar)
  • 5 oz heavy cream (whipping cream)
  • 1 tbsp vanilla
  • t tbsp almond extract
  • pinch salt
Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350°F. prepare two 6 inch pans (lined and sprayed).

In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt.

In small microwave-safe bowl, heat milk until hot, but not boiling. Stir in the vanilla and white chocolate until melted.

In a third large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time.

Slowly incorporate flour and chocolate mix alternately, mixing until just combined. Whip for 1 minute at high speed, pour into pans.

Bake 20-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool and prepare frosting.

Almond Buttercream:

Beat butter until fluffy, add in the vanilla, salt and almond extract.

On high whip in the heavy cream until mixture is fluffy.

Slowly add in the powdered sugar. Once mixed set aside.

NOW PUT IT ALL TOGETHER~!

Cut off the tops of the cakes. In the center of the cake, fill a layer of raspberry jam, then a thicker layer of the Almond Buttercream. Place two halves of the cake together. Press firmly but do not squish (gets rid of air in between).

Dirty ice the cake and let it sit for 1 hour.

Now, spread icing over top of the whole cake and decorate as you see fit. ENJOY!



I hope you all enjoy your Mother's day! Until next time.

post signature

14 comments:

Jen said...

Mmmmm....sounds so yummy! I'm hoping I can bake this I'm still a beginner when it comes to baking. :)

House Of Aqua said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Unknown said...

I love this cake! It is so beautiful!

It would bring tears to a Mom's eye's. You are a very talented woman!

http://larkscountryheart.blogspot.com

Jaclyn said...

This cake is absolutely beautiful! I would love to attempt to make a cake like this..maybe some day =) I would love if you would like up to Make it for Less Mondays at http://simplycadence.blogspot.com
Hope to see you there!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's wonderful!
Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed the visit. :)

Trisha said...

The cake looks gorgeous, simple yet elegant!

Rosa B. said...

Oh, lovely! I would love to be able to make a cake like that! Great job!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful cake!

Jenn said...

I love the flower on your cake - it is gorgeous!

Malory {Snips & Spice} said...

This is gorgeous! I just found you through I Heart Naptime. I am also a teacher by day, baker/sewer/crafter by night. Stop by and see me sometime if you feel so inclined.

http://snips-and-spice.blogspot.com/

Barbara said...

Your cake is stunning! Do you have a pattern you could share for the anemone?

Angie - Big Bears Wife said...

oo Meghan!! that is beautiful!

heather {WhipperBerry} said...

looks delish! thanks for partying with whipperberry!
Kisses

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Pretty and delicious! Linking this up with us made the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop better and more special. Thank you!