So, Recipe? Adapted from an old Food Network recipe.
- 1/2 cup of shortening (cubed)
- 1 1/2 cup of flower
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1tbsp sugar (mix to crumble)
- 1/4-1/2 tbsp ice water (to hold it together)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 5 large egg yolks
- dash salt
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Make Crust :) Some like it crumbly, some like it shortbread, some like it a classic pie. You choose.
- For filling, whisk sugar, water, and cornstarch in a pot. Whisk in egg yolks and salt and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes, whisking constantly. Increase heat to medium and, still whisking, cook filling until it begins to bubble just a touch - when it does, remove. Remove and strain. Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice and dissolve in butter . Pour mix into cooled shell, let cool before sticking it into the fridge to set.
- Meringue: Whip egg whites and cream of tartar in a clean, dry bowl until foamy (no peaks, but no runny egg. Slowly, while beating, incorporate sugar, and whip on highest speed until stiff peaks form. Whisk in cornstarch and dollop or pipe (using a piping bag) over chilled lemon filling. Bake pie for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees, just until meringue browns lightly. Let pie cool or chill until ready to slice.