Thursday, July 15, 2010

Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Bars

WARNING: THIS DESSERT IS EXTREMELY ADDICTIVE! BAKE AND STORE WITH EXTREME CAUTION AND CONTROL!

I recently found this great blog: My Baking Addiction and became obsessed with the recipe for their Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Bars. They looked soooo good that I just had to do a piggy-back recipe and try them out myself. Let me tell you, they work in stages, so they take a while, but they are sooooo worth it!

The finished product... their picture looks a little nicer :)

So, how do you do it?

Pulse together (in a food processor) 1 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar, and 12 tbsp unsalted butter. It should come out crumbly, like my picture.

Next, press it into a 9" square pan (well greased) and poke with a fork. Bake for 30-40 minutes at 30 degrees or until golden brown on the edges. (Below) Let Cool.


Next, for the caramel filling:

Mix 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk and 4 tablespoons light corn syrup, stir until incorporated.

Take caramel mix and put into the microwave. In sets of 30 seconds (stirring between each set) cook for 6 minutes... that's right, stand by the microwave and watch it. Be careful though, this will bubble over if you are not careful. Use a deep dish to prevent spills.


BUBBLY!

After 6 min, it should look like this, a golden colour and it should be thicker.

Place over already cooled shortbread... cool that in the fridge for a few, then go to the chocolate phase.

In the microwave again, melt 12 ounces semisweet chocolate and one tbsp unsalted butter. Stir then spread over cooled shortbread/caramel mix.

Pretty! ♥

Sprinkle 1 teaspoon vanilla fleur de sel (sea salt) if you wish (DO IT!) and chill.
The picture given by My Baking Addiction:



I love their presentation. For the full recipe, click here!

post signature

11 comments:

Amanda said...

mm those do look good! thanks for sharing the blog! i love baking blogs!!

Unknown said...

Yum! They look totally scrumptious x

cocoa and coconut said...

delicious, i love a good caramel chocolate combo

Pam said...

Pretty for sure and I bet they are delicious! I will be trying this! I'm new here and know I will be returning soon!

cookies and cups said...

I saw these too and have been obsessing about them! They are like homemade Twix...oh yumm!

Anonymous said...

Make some for us please!!!

Sonia Monagheddu said...

Hi Meghan nice to meet you...and this idea has finished among the favorites to try!
Thanks
Sonia

Anonymous said...

Meghan: Those treats were so delicious I did not want to share them. Please put a warning up with this recipe that states that they are addicting and may cause you to want to hit people who try to share them with you... Keep up the good work.

Lisa said...

YUM! My sister made these a few weeks ago with slivered almonds on top and they were amazing! I ate most of them myself : )

Anonymous said...

These look so yummy I can hardly stand it!

Just want to mention: for the caramel filling, don't forget to add the butter that was included in the original recipe.

Michelle said...

This looks like a milky way in heaven, I can not wait to try this!