Sunday, July 11, 2010

Hot Summers, Cool Bevvies -- Rhubarb Slush Recipe

IT HAS BEEN HOT! I mean, 35 degrees Celsius (95 for those in the U.S.). I think I've been swimming 5/7 days this week. It is a good thing I'm careful about swimmer's ear! What can I do to beat the heat? Well, a cool bevvie certainly helps! This Rhubarb slush is sure to be a hit to cool you off! Shout out to a lovely lady by the name of Olga who introduced me to the recipe! Thank you!

(Already half drank at that point... long photo shoot).

You too can make these slushies. How? Recipe time! (see the bottom for the recipe)

Take 8 cups rhubarb (chopped), 8 cups water and 1/2 cup lemon juice. Boil this down until the rhubarb is soft.

Strain out all the pulp, leaving the liquid (about 4 cups left)

Add in and stir 2 cups of sugar (3 if you like it sweet) and 1 large package of strawberry, raspberry or lime jello. I used lime and raspberry.

Put into an ice-cream pail and freeze. When done, put 2 scoops (with an ice-cream scoop) of the rhubarb slush into a glass, add club soda or ginger ail. Works good with 7-up too, but it will be sweet. For the adult version, add some vodka! SOOO GOOD!

Rhubarb Slush

8 cups rhubarb
8 cups water
1/2 c lemon juice

boil down rhubarb, water and lemon. Once rhubarb is soft strain out the liquid (throw out/compost the rhubarb).

1 large jell-o pack (jiggily kind) Rasberry, strawberry, lime.
2-3 cups sugar.

To the liquid mix, add sugar and jell-o, stir until completely dissolved.
Allow mix to cool slightly, then place in an ice-cream pail. Freeze overnight.

Place 2 scoops of rhubarb slush in a glass, fill remainder with club soda or ginger ail (add vodka :)

ENJOY!

Honestly, given the cool summer we had here last year, I am super excited to finally be able to enjoy the heat and sun! It gets quite cold in the winter. Summer balances me out.

I guess I'm still pretty crazy though :)


Please be sun-safe, wear sunscreen!

post signature

No comments: